Horizontally laid roof that has an under layer and the top coat is called as a Flat Roof. On the other hand a Shingle Roofs are the steep slope roofs. For any building or construction to last longer, apart from the foundation and the material used, the roofs should also be stronger. Regular maintenance will keep your home protected from the environmental damages. However, the type of roof depends a lot on the design and the use of the building. We may have a look at flat roofs Vs shingle roofs.
Quick Comparison between Flat roofs Vs Shingle roofs
Cost of Construction: A flat roof may look simple and easy to construct. It also involves low cost of installation as the surface area of the flat surface is less than the sloped surface. Shingles on the other hand, are costly for initial installation due to the surface area. Shingles at times involve trusses that increase it’s initial cost.
Inspection: Flat roofs are easy to inspect and climb in comparison to that on the Shingle roof.
Cost of Maintenance: The maintenance of the flat roofs are expensive. The water in the rains and the dampness in the snowfall can damage the roof as there is no water drainage. Whereas the cost of maintenance in the Shingle roofs are very low.
Durable: The water clogging on the Flat roofs increase chances of damage and wear and tear. Hence, it reduces the durability of the flat roofs. On the other hand, the Shingle Roofs are more durable and hence preferred in cities where there are more of snowfall and rainfall.
Variants: There are a wide variety of colors and styles available in Shingles whereas there cannot be much of the variation in the Flat Roofs. Click here to review the architectural Vs three tab shingles.
Almeida Roofing offers both the types of roofing options looking the need and the architecture of the building. Almeida Roofing is the home roofing contractors who are also the flat roof repair contractors. Roofs and their types are the back bone of the building structure. Being renowned roofing contractors at Peoria, Almeida Roofing has made not only lives but also the homes good.
Shingle roof adaptability is best seen in the climates of Arizona, US. Arizona has a dry climate, with small rainfall. In Arizona, temperature varies greatly from place to place, season to season, and even in a period of day to night. Homes in such areas must have durable roofs that can withstand in unpredictable climate variations. Shingle roofs are one of the most popular roofing types. Here is a quick review of the merits and demerits of using shingle roofs.
Merits of Using Shingle Roofs –
- Versatility – Shingle roofs can be made of materials like asphalt fiberglass, wooden shingles, metal, slate, tile etc. Warm areas mostly have flat roofs but tile shingle is also a good option. Wood shingles are not recommended for warm areas.
- Inexpensive – Shingles are one of the most inexpensive roofing options. Every material used for shingles like metal, tile, wood etc have different costs so you have various options to choose from as per your budget and needs.
- Easy Installation and Maintenance – Shingles are very easy to install. The expert roofing contractor in Peoria has proficiency over shingle roof installation. Regular repair and maintenance required to keep shingles clean and safe.
- Fire Resistant – Shingles are good resistant of fire. Wooden Shingles are the exception in this case. Asphalt fiberglass shingles are the most fire safe shingles among all other types of shingles.
- Easily Available – Shingles are easily available everywhere. It is easily available in different shapes types and colors.
Demerits of Using Shingle Roofs –
- Short Lifespan – Metal and slate shingles are durable up to 50 years, but few shingles like Asphalt, tile and wooden shingles are limited to 30-35 years.
- Regular Inspection Required – Although the roof maintenance and repair is easy but regular inspection is also required to avoid any damage.
- Vulnerable to Mildew – Improper roof installation, ventilation and leaks lead to the problems like moss and mildew in shingles.
Shingle roofing installation is done by the professional roofing expert. People choose shingle roofs over other roofing types as it looks classy, inexpensive and comes in wide range.