Are you troubled because your new shingle roof has already started leaking and you want to either replace or repair the same? Well, these are such troubled instances wherein homeowners have to take a call whether to continue with the existing one or take up entire replacement job from scratch. Before you call Phoenix roofing repair company, here are some pointers that will help you assess the repairs much better. Let’s take a look at these
Option of “Roof Over”
This technique of roof repair is being widely followed by shingle roofing companies Phoenix for properties that are low on budget, this means laying new sets of shingles or tiles over the existing ones. Widely known as re-roofing, this technique allows the homeowners to save money by way of material purchase or labor costs. But in such case always ensure that the shingles are covered under warranty to avoid loss of coverage.
Repairing The Wood Laid Under Shingles
While repairing a shingle roof Phoenix, it is important to assess that the wood below the shingles also gets repaired. Ensure to include this in agreement since placing new shingles over defective wood does more harm than good to the overall house setting thereby reducing life expectancy of new roofing materials.
Make Sure Concerned Roofing Company Uses Protective Coverings
As a tip, it is always important that shingles should never be fixed directly to the raw wood. Such protective barriers offer additional ice and water shields which thereby helps in safeguarding the exteriors of a home. Also ascertain that the contractor provided additional installation materials like fasteners, flashing and drip edges required for entirely covered roof replacement.
Focus On Wind Resistance
One of the finest and most reliable roofing contractors Phoenix have always emphasized on needs of wind resistance. Especially in areas that are prone to weather uncertainties like hurricanes, tornados or wind damage, it is important to bear this factor in mind while purchasing as well as installing shingles. Make sure that warranty must cover wind conditions.
Roofs are considered as the most important as well as susceptible part of any home that is located in a storm prone area. When such homes remain exposed to seasonal barrage of wind, rain, sun, snow and ice year on year, demand of Roofing contractors in Phoenix will always remain high. While homeowners make their best effort at keeping their shingle roofs safe from weather hits, they are suggested to make timely inspections to avoid serious damage.
Phoenix Roofers suggest the property owners to give a regular inspection to old as well as new roof periodically to detect damages. Post this; they can opt for making necessary roof repairs. As preventive measures, they are also advised to carry out routine maintenance which involves clearing gutters and debris downspouts to avoid serious damage to the roof area. Such measures if taken on time can help the property owners to detect extend roof life whilst keeping damage under control.
Shingle Roofing mostly encounters damages such as surface bubbles, curling, buckling, cracks or missing shingles or gutters filled that are accumulate shingle granules. Such roofing contractors have hands on exposure in installing a new roof, keeping in mind the conditions stated under manufacturer’s warranty. They can perform the task of Shingle Roof Repair right and work on bringing enhanced comfort and style to a Phoenix home.
These contractors are proficient and well trained in installing varied types of roof shingles, and hold track record of handling similar nature of projects previously. Their competency to install complex roofs and suggesting best possible solution to curb further damage makes them worthy of someone’s expense. Most of these contractors offer FREE in-home consultation, and hand over a fair estimate with detailed break-up of the cost involved. Additionally, Roofing Contractors in Phoenix can suggest the choice of right shingle that can match with the style of your home keeping the cost under check.
Things to Consider Before Choosing Shingles for Roof
• Architectural shingles : This type of shingles create a multi-dimensional effect and feature laminated construction that can the roof to last longer. Roofers suggest three-tab asphalt shingles over standard roof shingles for better performance.
• Asphalt Roofs : Many people discover that most of the roofs are made of asphalt but other roof materials such as metal and tile stay perfect for steep slopes. You can also go for single-ply membranes if your home has a flat roof. You must also check the Pros and Cons of Shingle Roofs.
• Use of special adhesives : This helps to tightly seal the roof shingles where thereby helps in reducing the risk of blowing off the shingles during a storm.
• Choose Shingle Colors : On a quick market survey, you will discover that roof shingles are available in varied colors ranging from natural wood to bring tones of blue, green and red. Make a quick consultation with your homeowners’ association and go through their guidelines before selecting the color of your new roof.
• Important to notice is that shingle comes with a warranty period from 25 years to lifetime warranty
Climate in and around Phoenix, Arizona homes has a hotter climate in most part of the year. So, the selection of roof has to be in line with the weather conditions. Every homemaker has special concerns about building as well as renovating the home. Since roof is an important part of any home, its selection has to be considered after keeping the weather in mind.
Most of the commercial roofing companies come up with choice of three major types of roofs that do well in the AZ homes i.e. Tile, Shingle and Foam roofs. While all these roofs are the common recommendations made by any reputed Phoenix Roofing Company, some work better than others and are more adaptable to certain weather conditions. Below given is the detailed description of roofs that are best recommendations given by Phoenix Roofers.
The topmost three types of roofs suitable for Phoenix climate :
Tile Roofing – This type of roofing has come up as an alluring option, and is regarded as quite durable. Generally it is made of clay, but also comes in lighter weight materials constructions to suit different needs and purposes. Where on one hand, hard clay can withstand extreme heat and storms, on the other it protects the home from water damage by providing stronger insulation, keeping the inside temperature under control.
Shingle Roofing – It is regarded as a less expensive option and demands low maintenance costs. Mostly, it is made using asphalt or fiberglass that is available in varied styles and colors. Also, this type of roof can easily complement any design to impart attractive finish to a home. It lasts an average of 25 years.
Foam Roofing – Such type of roofing is highly recommended by commercial roofing companies for commercial buildings; however it also goes well with homes in which the foam roofing is sprayed on the roof to dry hard. It is recognized as a single layer of roofing that removes seams, present around flashing to block water drainage. It also offers extra layer of insulation to keep energy cost to its minimum.
Horizontally laid roof that has an under layer and the top coat is called as a Flat Roof. On the other hand a Shingle Roofs are the steep slope roofs. For any building or construction to last longer, apart from the foundation and the material used, the roofs should also be stronger. Regular maintenance will keep your home protected from the environmental damages. However, the type of roof depends a lot on the design and the use of the building. We may have a look at flat roofs Vs shingle roofs.
Quick Comparison between Flat roofs Vs Shingle roofs
Cost of Construction: A flat roof may look simple and easy to construct. It also involves low cost of installation as the surface area of the flat surface is less than the sloped surface. Shingles on the other hand, are costly for initial installation due to the surface area. Shingles at times involve trusses that increase it’s initial cost.
Inspection: Flat roofs are easy to inspect and climb in comparison to that on the Shingle roof.
Cost of Maintenance: The maintenance of the flat roofs are expensive. The water in the rains and the dampness in the snowfall can damage the roof as there is no water drainage. Whereas the cost of maintenance in the Shingle roofs are very low.
Durable: The water clogging on the Flat roofs increase chances of damage and wear and tear. Hence, it reduces the durability of the flat roofs. On the other hand, the Shingle Roofs are more durable and hence preferred in cities where there are more of snowfall and rainfall.
Variants: There are a wide variety of colors and styles available in Shingles whereas there cannot be much of the variation in the Flat Roofs. Click here to review the architectural Vs three tab shingles.
Almeida Roofing offers both the types of roofing options looking the need and the architecture of the building. Almeida Roofing is the home roofing contractors who are also the flat roof repair contractors. Roofs and their types are the back bone of the building structure. Being renowned roofing contractors at Peoria, Almeida Roofing has made not only lives but also the homes good.
Shingle roof adaptability is best seen in the climates of Arizona, US. Arizona has a dry climate, with small rainfall. In Arizona, temperature varies greatly from place to place, season to season, and even in a period of day to night. Homes in such areas must have durable roofs that can withstand in unpredictable climate variations. Shingle roofs are one of the most popular roofing types. Here is a quick review of the merits and demerits of using shingle roofs.
Merits of Using Shingle Roofs –
- Versatility – Shingle roofs can be made of materials like asphalt fiberglass, wooden shingles, metal, slate, tile etc. Warm areas mostly have flat roofs but tile shingle is also a good option. Wood shingles are not recommended for warm areas.
- Inexpensive – Shingles are one of the most inexpensive roofing options. Every material used for shingles like metal, tile, wood etc have different costs so you have various options to choose from as per your budget and needs.
- Easy Installation and Maintenance – Shingles are very easy to install. The expert roofing contractor in Peoria has proficiency over shingle roof installation. Regular repair and maintenance required to keep shingles clean and safe.
- Fire Resistant – Shingles are good resistant of fire. Wooden Shingles are the exception in this case. Asphalt fiberglass shingles are the most fire safe shingles among all other types of shingles.
- Easily Available – Shingles are easily available everywhere. It is easily available in different shapes types and colors.
Demerits of Using Shingle Roofs –
- Short Lifespan – Metal and slate shingles are durable up to 50 years, but few shingles like Asphalt, tile and wooden shingles are limited to 30-35 years.
- Regular Inspection Required – Although the roof maintenance and repair is easy but regular inspection is also required to avoid any damage.
- Vulnerable to Mildew – Improper roof installation, ventilation and leaks lead to the problems like moss and mildew in shingles.
Shingle roofing installation is done by the professional roofing expert. People choose shingle roofs over other roofing types as it looks classy, inexpensive and comes in wide range.